Sunday, September 12, 2010

What I Learned by Experimenting with Lights


Ambient lighting flattens objects. When colorized it appears as if we are looking through a film or fog. It reminds me of the Toy Story movies when the light is colorless.


Directional lighting seemed a tad sleazy to me. It has the tendency to make a cylinder look like a sexy object in a night club.


Point lighting can be used to recreate gallery lighting, especially if the surfaces are reflective.


Spot lights can be theatrical. For me, they worked well in conjunction with other lights.


I found two great uses for area lighting. It is an easy way to show that a door of a dark room is opened, letting light enter. This can be useful to show someone checking in on someone who is sleeping. Another great use for area lighting is fire.

Volume lights are very faint splotches of light. It reminded me of an alarm clock or nightlight in a dark bedroom. They can also look sort of magical like a hovering fairy or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment